Well this post has been waaaayyy overdue! Due to everything going on with Covid, not being able to get my hair colored until recently and waiting on salons in NJ to be open again I am finally bringing you my mermaid hair extensions update. AND stay tuned for a giveaway towards your own hair extensions at the end of this post!
SHOP THE POST:
If you are new around here you’ll want to read this blog post explaining why I got mermaid hair extensions, everything you need to know about mermaid hair extensions and most importantly who I go to. That post answers a ton!
Can you believe it’s just about 6 months since I got them in? Kinda think that qualifies me for a pretty solid mermaid hair extensions update!
As you know from my original post, I go see Nicole every 2 months to have my hair extensions moved back up. As your hair grows the bead grows down so they need to be adjusted. These appointments are super quick. They vary between 1 and 2 hours. Nicole opens up the existing bead. After that, she combs the hair regrowth out, and then reinstalls the extension. In addition, she will also access the health of you hair and make any suggestions if you aren’t properly taking care of your hair.
Maintenance appointments are crucial for the integrity of your hair. I talk about pricing of mermaid hair extensions in this post, but below I will list what the maintenance appointments cost.
$200 for 3 bundles
$225 for 4 bundles
$250 for 5 bundles
$275 for 6 bundles
So now let’s talk pros and cons in this next section of my mermaid hair extensions update.
- The obvious pro is they look killer. I cannot tell you how many people compliment my hair.
- They curl easy. Despite how much hair I now have and the weight they curl super easily and they hold a curl for days! I have discussed several times but I use this hair dryer and this curling wand to get my beachy waves.
- Braids, topknots, buns — the hair extensions take them to the next level.
- You have amazing volume all the time. Sorry but no matter how great your head of hair is you just can’t naturally get volume like you do with hair extensions
- I save on coloring. Being Nicole had color matched me I no longer need to get highlights. I just pay to have my roots colored at my regular salon and have a toner/shine applied to my extensions to keep the color vibrant.
I’ve always been 100% honest with you all so of course I have to share the few cons to having mermaid hair extensions
- Bet you can guess the first one. Hair washing. It ain’t quick. I literally map my week out and wash on workout days. Not even kidding. When washing I divide the hair in half (left side, right side). I wash my hair with regular shampoo. After that, I lather a heavy hair mask in place of conditioner and let it sit on there while I shave, wash my body, etc. In my opinion, regular hair conditioner just doesn’t hydrate the extensions enough. However, I find a hair mask works so much better. And with only washing 2, 3 times max a week I don’t go through too much too quickly. I recommend this hair mask and also this one.
- And of course the drying. I try to let my hair air dry as much as possible to cut down on drying time.
- You will spend a good amount on hair product. So this is a personal choice for me, but I have been splurging on hair product. Mermaid hair extensions should last about a year with proper use and with as much as I curl mine I want them super protected and hydrated. After I towel dry my hair I use this leave in conditioner and this heat protectant spray. And dry shampoo. Girl, I’m not washing that hair that often and we all know I workout. So yes. Lots and lots of dry shampoo.
- It’s heavy. I’ve had to buy thicker hair bands to get that hair up when I work out. Going to the beach and the pool is a tad challenging as I don’t want to get my hair wet because it takes a bit to dry. That’s just me though.
- Showering on non hair washing days was super challenging as my hair would’t stay in a regular shower cap. Then I got this one and my life was changed!
- Not really a con but you do have to sleep in braids or pigtails so you don’t get knots.
- Sometimes I just miss a good scalp scrub. The hair is attached by beads so you can still scrub but the beads sometimes get in the way.
So I mean the cons aren’t deal breakers for me at all. Beauty comes at a price right? All worth it and I honestly now can’t imagine not having my hair extensions. I look back at past photos and the difference is crazy.
As I’ve mentioned in prior posts Nicole is offering $300 off installation when you mention House of Leo at booking. *New clients only. Not available on previous purchases.
Prices with my $300 discount:
18 inch starting at $850
24 inch starting at $1000
HOW TO BOOK
In addition, if you’ve been on the fence about getting mermaid hair extensions now is your chance to get a $500 gift card from Mermaid Hair by Nicole. Head to my most recent Instagram post for details on how to enter. *For new client installation only and my discount code cannot be applied.
Hope my mermaid hair extensions update answered a lot of your questions. If I missed any please don’t hesitate to comment below or shoot me an email!
SHOP THE POST:
BODYSUIT | SHORTS | BAG (use code housefleo315 for 15% off) | HAIR WAND (also here and here) | HAIR DRYER | HAIR MASK (here and here) | LEAVE IN CONDITIONER | DRY SHAMPOO (also love this one) | HEAT PROTECTANT SPRAY | SHOWER CAP
*In collaboration with Mermaid Hair By Nicole. As always, all statements and opinions are my own.